Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Peter Pan Bakery, Brooklyn NYC

What: Raised honey dip, red velvet cake, autumn spice cake, whole wheat cake
Where: 727 Manhattan Ave, Greenpoint 11222
When: Wednesday, March 12th, 2014
website


We started off Donut Tour 2014 in Brooklyn at Peter Pan Bakery. It was what I think of as an old school luncheonette counter. It seemed like everyone there knew each other and came in every day for a cup of coffee and some socialization. They had an impressive window display plus all the donuts in side. I know the picture looks less than impressive, but we didn't start our tour till around 11am. So I can only imagine how full the window is at 7am!

We selected four to try: honey dip, whole wheat cake, red velvet cake, and autumn spice cake. Donuts were $1.10 each and in the summer they make donut ice cream sandwiches (which I've just remembered, I've had before! In Somerville. If only I had pictures...). Anyways, back to this weeks' donuts. The honey dip was the only raised one of the bunch and you could definitely taste the honey tang in the glaze on it. Very airy, one of those ones that smooshes down when you try to cut it. The red velvet was dark on the outside, bright red on the inside. The whole wheat almost tasted more like a bagel or something than a donut and the autumn spice was ok. Not my favorite. The whole wheat tasted a little over fried, but the crunch almost added to the flavor. I was also informed by my tour guide (ie, sister) that their egg sandwiches are really good. But who has room for that on a four-stop donut tour?

We finished off the honey dip, but saved about half of the other three for my brother-in-law before moving on to our next stop, a chicken and pie place with fancy donuts.


No comments:

Post a Comment