Thursday, May 7, 2015

Dottie's Donuts

What: Almond Joy and Cantelope
Where: Grindcore House Coffee, 1515 S 4th St, Philadelphia PA 19147
When: Monday, March 16th, 2015

My husband and I were recently at a Sleeter Kinney show in Omaha with a friend from work and his friend from the east coast. When she heard that we would be traveling to Philadelphia soon she raved about Dottie's Donuts and how good they were. Then, when talking to my sister about them, a pastry chef in Philadelphia, she said she had started to hear about them, so we looked them up on Facebook, and another friend had a review for them. How had I never heard of them before? They rose to the top of the list of things to do in Philadelphia pretty quickly. 
Dottie's doesn't have their own store front, from what I could gather off Facebook they bake in a closed pizza restaurant and then sell to a ton of local coffee shops, including the one my sister goes to all the time. In fact, my two sister's think they had some Dottie's Donuts unknowingly the last time they were together in Philadelphia. But this time we tried them knowingly. 
They are all vegan, and spoiler, amazing. The dough has a croissant like flakiness that makes you want to eat multiples in one sitting. The cantaloupe flavor was very subtle. The almond joy had chocolate frosting, almond slivers, and coconut sprinkled on top. The frosting had a graininess that is to be expected will all vegan frostings, but the chocolate flavor was very good. I can't wait to try more flavors next time I'm in Philadelphia (or hear about more flavors from my sister, I'm glad I don't live that close otherwise I'd be getting them way too often!) I'd say 4.5/5 for the canteloupe and 4/5 for the almond joy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment