Thursday, May 14, 2015

Federal Donuts

What: Chocolate dipped cake, blueberry drizzle cake, hot cherry lavender, hot cinnamon sugar, free honey dip
Where: Federal Donuts, 1219 S 2nd St, Philadelphia PA
When: Monday, March 16th, 2015

I have reviewed Federal Donuts before, and with better pictures, but this was the last donut stop on my northeast trip in March and it ended up being a surprising amount of donuts, especially since we went for the chicken...

Federal Donuts is a little place in Philadelphia that does fried chicken and donuts. Not waffles, donuts. I had never had their fried chicken so we decided it would be a good lunch the day my husband and I flew back to Nebraska. We get there, all ready to order chicken, and then spend 10 minutes checking out the donuts.

We end up ordering two fancy cake donuts, two hot cake donuts, and two half orders of chicken. The fancy cakes are iced all at once and in the display case. The hot cakes are made as you order them, sprinkled with sugar and flavoring, and given to you warm. If you've never had a warm donut (besides Krispy Kreme) I recommend it.

It was also nice that they made the warm ones, because then our lunch turned into a three course meal! Our two fancies were blueberry drizzle and chocolate frosted. The blueberry had excellent flavor. Our two hots were cherry lavendar and cinnamon sugar. The cherry lavender was nice, a good subtle flavor and not at all in your face. The cinnamon sugar was great, very much a standard donut done very well. I vote 3/5 for chocolate, 4/5 for blueberry, 3/5 for cherry lavender and 4/5 for cinnamon sugar.

And then we got our chicken. Which was delicious, and came with two more donuts. Every half order of chicken you get comes with a warm honey dip donut. I'm glad I ate the other donuts first. If the honey dip was the first Federal Donut I had ever tried, I probably would have been confused as to why the place is always so busy. It was just weird. Not very sweet at all. I'd say a 0.5/5.






No comments:

Post a Comment