Thursday, September 3, 2015

Glazed and Confused

What: Confuzed Somoa, G&C Plain Glazed, G&C Chocolate Glazed
Where: 5301 Leetsdale Dr, Denver CO 80246
When: Tuesday, July 28th 2015
website

While in Denver for maybe 12 hours, including sleeping, we asked some locals (and by locals, I mean the friends we had lunch with) their favorite donut place and were immediately told of the wonder that is Glazed and Confused. We got over there around 1pm, which isn't really prime donut time and their selection showed it. But I wanted everything in the case regardless. We settled on three to try and my husband chatted up the clerk while I used their facilities (thank you for actually having decent bathrooms btw, very much appreciated).


First, the Confuzed Somoa. Just look at this thing. It was massive and covered in toasted coconut. As the name suggests, it was a take on one of my favorite Girl Scout cookies. The caramel frosting was well hidden under all the coconut. I prefer more caramel than coconut, but it was still delicious. The donut batter for all three was fairly dense and almost like a sweet bread. Moist and springy, but not very airy like some donuts. 4/5

The plain glazed was not very plain as the glaze was vanilla bean with a brown butter reduction in it. I thought it was really good, very rich and complex flavor. 4.5/5

The chocolate was definitely more of a chocolate glaze than a chocolate frosting, which the husband did not care for (but he still helped me eat it!). The flavor was also more natural and therefore subdued than some as well. 4/5

The donuts themselves shone a lot brighter than their toppings. I would like to try some of their other offerings, including their grilled donuts and the Elvis Has Left (Nutter Butter fluff with chocolate covered bananas). I feel my sister may want to try their Root Beer Float donuts, which was recommended by our friends but they were out of when we got to the store. I will definitely be going back here.

No comments:

Post a Comment