Monday, September 21, 2015

Kolache Class

On Saturday, September 12th my aunt and I (and one of her friends) took a Kolache Making class at Southeast Community College. For those of you wondering what the crap a kolache is, it's a Czech and Bohemian specialty that is kind of like a danish, but not as sweet.

I had never taken a cooking class, but this one sounded really fun. I mean, it's kind of like making donuts. Without the frying. But anyways, on to the pictures!


While our dough was rising (mines the one in the silver bowl) our instructor showed us how she makes dumplings and then we got to sample them while she rolled out her dough.



She showed us how to make the dough into kolaches (you know, since that was the class) and then cinnamon rolls, poppy seed rolls, bread braid things, and garlic knots.






Then it was our turn. My kolaches didn't look the greatest, but they tasted delicious! I can't wait to try to make them again on my own!



My aunt made some dinner rolls (one batch of dough made so much!)



These better formed kolaches was the work of the woman across the table from me, but that is my garlic knot loaf thingy!



And here's my cinnamon braid with cherry topping and frosting. On the right is just a plain bread braid that I thought might be nice with salad or fancy olive oil or who knows. I was running out of room on my pans and things to make.



But I borrowed a pan to make this awesome jumbo kolache! Why I didn't take a picture of it with something in view for scale, who knows. It was about 6 inches in diameter.

No comments:

Post a Comment