Saturday, January 25, 2014

Hole in One Donuts

What: Maple raised
Where: Wildwood, FL
When: Monday, December 23rd, 2013

Sometimes it isn't about the donut. It's about the experience. And the conversation.

This Christmas some pretty awesome stars aligned, and two of my best friends from middle school were both in Florida at the same time as me and the same time as each other. I couldn't tell you the last time this happened. Possibly when we were all still in high school.

It wasn't the easiest to get together, as I had no car and one of the friends was about two hours north of us. But we worked it out for the one closest to me to come pick me up from the airport, and then we would drive to Wildwood, FL to meet the other on her way to Tampa with her sister.

There isn't a lot in Wildwood. Basically it's where the Florida Turnpike and I-75 intersect. So it's full of travel plazas and convenience stores and cheap restaurants for truckers. After all the hoopla with my bag and late flight, we probably got there at least an hour and a half late. We met at the Steak and Shake. Connected to the Hess Station. That had Hole in One Donuts inside.

 From the sign it looks like a pretty legit donut bakery. The case was fairly empty by this time, but they had maple. I couldn't resist. They also had some other interestingly named donuts...let me just leave this picture of the case here for you...

After our lovely linner at Steak and Shake we still had some random hanging out to do, so I got my donut and we sat outside the gas station in Wildwood, FL and caught up on life. Then we walked across the street (which in and of itself is an adventure in Florida as pedistrians are not the norm but 7-8 lane massive streets are). We were looking for cigarettes. Not for me. We found them in the second gas station (so the third that I was in of the day) and then continued to walk around. We may have hung out behind another gas station for awhile looking for air ferns. We may have loitered outside a gas station. We may have been those people.

It was a great way to start my Florida vacation and so exciting to see such old friends all together again and tell funny stories and catch everyone up and talk about jobs and friends and life. And realize that we still had a lot in common after over 15 years of friendship.

Oh yeah, and the donut was ok. For a gas station donut in Florida. Nothing like Casey's. I'd say 1.5/5. But 5/5 for experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment