Thursday, August 6, 2015

Blue Star

What: Chocolate Ganache, Buttermilk Old Fashioned, Maple Bacon
Where: Somewhere in Portland, OR
When: Saturday, July 25th, 2015
website

While we were in Seattle for a wedding in July, we had the chance to meet up with one of my very best friends (from 7th grade!) and her husband in Centralia, WA. And they brought us donuts! It was very fitting because it was 2 years ago that I started my donut tour of the west coast with this very same friend that led to the birth of this blog!

They brought us three donuts, a chocolate ganache with peanut sprinkles, a large old fashioned, and the ever popular maple with bacon sprinkles.

This was the second time I had an old fashioned, ever, and within the same month. It was my favorite of the three, so nice and pure tasting. The shape was also really fun with a distinct square on top. The maple had a subdued maple flavor with a very distinct bacon taste. You could tell that this wasn't the cheapest bacon they could buy. The chocolate ganache was slightly sticky and had almost a bittersweet chocolate flavor. The peanut flavor was almost totally lost in the ganache. The husband was not a fan of the ganache, but I didn't mind it. I've never had a donut with ganache on it. And for those of you trying to figure out what I'm talking about, ganache is whipped chocolate and cream without butter or sugar added like a more standard frosting.

I would give the old fashioned a 4.5/5, the maple a 3.5/5 and the chocolate a 3.5/5. Checking out their website get's me excited to try other flavors next time I'm in Portland!


No comments:

Post a Comment