Monday, January 25, 2016

Evergreen Cabin

I grew up in a lot of different states, but the base camp for my family was always Nebraska. And I would say the actual camp we used as our base camp was Platte River State Park. It opened before I was born and we were going before I remember. It's one of those places you have foggy memories of as a child, possibly some of my first memories. I remember sitting on the curb in a parking spot waiting for someone. I remember watching my mom come out of the shower house and us making fun of her for something (wet hair? terry cloth romper?) and watching one of my older cousins playing tennis.

I've heard tons of stories to supplement my memory, like when my sister and aunts had a popcorn war instead of going to bed one night. I've also been back enough times to have my own real memories, like when we went out for two of my aunts' birthdays and brought Russel Stover hats for everyone to wear.

Now that I'm back living in Nebraska, I'd love to say I am going more often but recently I've been going to Mahoney State Park, 10 miles west of Platte. Mahoney is newer and has more amenities, like wifi and mini golf. Platte River is strictly cabins (or teepees) with no tent or RV camping. Both parks have paddle boats (but I've only been on them at Platte). Nebraska state parks are in a class of their own in my view.

The idea to go to Platte River came up around November and my aunt (did I mention I have 5 aunts? On my mom's side? Yeah, that's why so many of these tidbits start with "my aunt") and I decided we'd have a ladies' retreat at Platte River to sit around and play games and eat junk food and just relax. So we booked one of the biggest cabins they had for Jan 8-10th. Possibly forgetting how cold Nebraska can be in January. Good thing the cabin was heated beyond belief and had a bathroom. Some of Platte's cabins don't have bathrooms. Which is fine in the spring, summer, or fall, but not so great in the winter.

Anyways, the point of this post was a review of the cabin, mainly so next time we're trying to figure out what cabin we want we have some pictures and info to go off of.

Pictures first!

My awesome, not to scale, obviously, floorplan
Looking down the hallway towards the bedrooms
A little further back from the hallway,
table on the right
Bedroom with double bed
Bedroom with bunk beds
Bathroom, duh


Review:

4.5 stars
Would be better in the summer or fall when we could take advantage of the outdoor space (sorry for lack of outdoor photos). There were three tables outside, fire pit and grill. It was fairly secluded compared to other cabins, but only came with two parking spaces.
Would sleep 8, but the 5 of us filled it with all our stuff so 8 adults would have been tight.
Nice sized fridge, tiny stove. Microwave/toaster/coffee maker all included.
Double basin sink.
Living room seating for 3. Table fit 5 comfortable, 8 would be a squeeze (extra chairs were in the bedrooms as places to put your stuff)
Each bedroom also came with a tall, compact armoire with area for hanging stuff, one large drawer, and one large cubby at the bottom for storage.

Normally $115/night, rented for about $80 in the off season

No comments:

Post a Comment