Monday, February 29, 2016

My first donut cake!

This was my inspiration:


I decided to go for it for some friends' birthdays. The recipe called for cake donuts, but the grocery store had a deal on glazed donuts so I went with raised donuts. And green sprinkles.



The recipe also called for three batches of thick vanilla frosting. I swapped out the vanilla for Irish Creme flavoring and will definitely cut down the total frosting amounts. I also did various shades of green instead of different colors, so next time I will also not split them into separate bowls. Next time, just start with the lightest color and add my coloring with each 7 donuts you dip.


Dipped 36 donuts and let them air dry.


Layer one. 7 donuts.


Layer two. Trying to make them a little darker.


Layer three!


Trying to keep them all upright. My base wasn't very big.


Decided to stop after four layers. Raised donuts are so much bigger than cake donuts! Next time I will go with the cake donuts.


Profile. You can kind of tell it goes from dark to light.


Look at that messy kitchen. Whew. Icing everywhere!


Final product!

What went well: Everyone loved the flavored frosting. Store bought donuts were a total time saver.

What to change for next time: Use the dowels! It wasn't specified on the directions page, but the cookbook did mention it a couple pages before. Oops. I tried so hard to read through all the directions before starting!
Also, use homemade donuts, they're smaller and taste better. Not sure if they'll stack better but I'm definitely willing to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment