Thursday, February 4, 2016

Super Saver Paczkis


What: Chocolate Bavarian Cream powdered sugar paczkis
Where: Super Saver on 48th and O, Lincoln NE
When: Saturday, January 30th, 2016


Every year around this time two of the local grocery stores start selling paczkis (apparently pronounced punch-keys). According to the box, they are a traditional Polish snack made before Ash Wednesday to get rid of ingredients that can't be eaten during the fasting of Lent. I've tried them from the sample tray a couple of times and thought they were pretty good so I figured I should review them since they are basically filled donuts.
Lemon review on it's way!

I bought two packs, one chocolate with powdered sugar and one lemon with cinnamon and sugar. I really wanted a glazed lemon one, but I couldn't find it in the pile at the grocery store (side note, I should give you guys a tour sometime of Super Saver. It's like no other grocery store I've ever been to).

Best filling ever!
For this post I will focus on the chocolate, which you probably already figured out from the top. The chocolate filling was probably the best chocolate filling for any donut I've ever had. I don't generally like powdered sugar on donuts, but this powdered sugar was so fresh and nothing like those ones you buy in 6 packs. The sugar made a huge mess since it was so fresh, but it was worth it.

I'd give these 4/5. My biggest issue was the unevenness of the filling (you'd get bites with filling falling out onto your plate and bites without any filling) but I don't think that's unique to these pastries.



No comments:

Post a Comment