Thursday, February 11, 2016

Making donuts, part 2

The second recipe in the donut book we tried was for raised donuts. My sister had made the cake donuts while I was sleeping or something, so I didn't really have much to do with those but helping to dip them in glaze.

For the raised donuts, she basically had me do it from start to finish while watching. The hardest part was figuring out if the water temp was right to wake up the yeast. The rest wasn't too bad, just a long process. And I feel like they made a lot more than we expected. I don't have a donut cutter so we used a small tupperware as the outside circle and the lid off a liquor bottle for the inside circle, but I thought the donuts was perfectly sized. Smaller than a grocery store donut, but perfect for snacking.

The yeast waking up in warm water.
The yeast after it ate the sugar and started to get a little smelly.
Checking on the recipe and getting a bowl ready for the flour.
Rolling out the dough and cutting out the donuts. This dough only needed to rise once, after it had been cut out already.
Frying the donuts with my sister watching.
Dipping them in glaze (I think it was just powdered sugar and vanilla and milk)

Finished product. Some where in vanilla glaze, some in maple glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment