Monday, April 11, 2016

Campin' Food

Have you ever wanted to try hikers food? You know that freeze dried food in pouches that they sell at all the fancy outdoor stores? I have. I know, I'm crazy. But when I was at the REI flagship store while in Denver for Spring Break Part II, my hostess and writing-inspiring bff since 8th grade said she had always wanted to try them too. Instant dinner plans!


So we bought a "dinner" and a "dessert" and headed home. 

While the writer was working on a story, I started working on dinner. For the dinner you had to add 2 cups of boiling water to the pouch. They even had measuring guides on the side of the pouch incase you didn't have measuring cups. Of course, I was making it in a fully equipped kitchen so I didn't try out their method.

So here is our food process, from dry food to bowl-o-rice!

The dinner was a pineapple chicken rice dish and was fairly good but left both of us slightly hungry still. We voted that if you had hiked a whole day there was no way there was enough calories in a serving to fill you back up. Maybe if you ate the whole bag. The dish also had a weird peanut butter taste to it and the peas did not re-hydrate well.

On to dessert! Coconut Key Lime Pie, made with cold water. How do you get cold water while camping? Put it in the cooler ahead of time? I used the water out of the fridge water dispenser, which is cold but not super cold and the "pie" still set pretty well.
The smaller pouch near the top of the picture is the graham cracker crust.

There appears to be more graham cracker than really needed, but it was delicious. We definitely would buy this again.

So yeah, hiker food. Not that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment