Thursday, April 14, 2016

District Doughnuts

What: Snickerdoodle,
Where: 749 8th St SE, Washington, DC
When: Saturday April 2nd and Sunday April 3rd, 2016.


I'm going to start this review with a story. About a comic. I don't remember actually reading the comic when I was younger because I think I was too young. But the gist of the comic is that someone wants to rent a car, the rental agent asks what kind of car, and the renter asks what kind of cars the agent has to rent.
One car. They have one car to rent.
Well, then why did you ask me what kind?
I was hoping you'd want that one car.

My older siblings will pull this dialogue out every so often, once notably when I went with my sister to test drive Subarus in Omaha. I don't remember which model it was, but they had one on the lot. Just one. So I test drove that one.

What does this have to do with District Doughnut? I'm so glad you asked. When we first walked into District Doughnut at approximately 3pm on Saturday, they had one little doughnut sitting on their counter with a stick in it labeling it a snickerdoodle. There were five of us and all I could think was, who gets the one doughnut they have left???

Thankfully, that was just their display and they had a few left so there wasn't any fighting. We even ended up with a free doughnut because we paid for two, they only gave us one, so she gave us two more in the bag. So many doughnuts suddenly!

The actual review: they really captured the flavor of a snickerdoodle cookie in a donut. Makes me wonder if there was cream of tarter in the dough. The cake doughnut was on the small side, but full of flavor and covered in a lovely cinnamon and sugar cobbler-type coating. I would give it a 4/5. Very solid doughnut.
(And yes, we went back the next day to check out their full variety of treats and may have gotten four more doughnuts to try...we really ate our way through DC!)

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the best least funny joke ever. It was an episode of Garfield actually, where Jon Arbuckle goes to rent a car.

    ReplyDelete