Monday, July 6, 2015

Camping menu planning

I'm a planner. I like lists and I like organization and I like to be prepared. So about a week before my husband and I left on a 4 night camping trip, I sat down to plan our menu and work on a grocery list. And quickly realized that four days of cold turkey sandwiches for lunch just wouldn't do. After a quick google search, I found Happy Money Saver and 10 great recipes to try!

    

So, in order, my thoughts and results!


1. Pancake Batter in a bag: definitely will do this again. I froze mine flat, but should have frozen it in a block because we weren't going to eat it right away. The more spread out whatever it is when frozen, the faster it will defrost.

2. Egg sandwiches and 3. Omelettes in a bag were skipped on this trip.

4. Campfire pizza log: got soggy because it was too big for a ziplock. For our next trip I will try to make it into two smaller pizzas so that I can properly wrap it. Also, mine looked nothing like that.
Pizza toppings cooking: fresh spinach, tomato, garlic
Ready to be rolled up. Sadly, no
"rolled up" picture, but I'll just tell
you it wasn't pretty.

5. Taco soup: excellent! I really liked the recipe because I could mix it up a bit (I used a can of rotel instead of the second can of stewed tomatoes, because that's what was in my pantry when I went to make it). Again though, like with the pancakes, I would freeze it more compactly and not flat if we weren't going to eat it in the first two days camping.
Soup ingredients, plus the ground turkey.
Cooking everything up.
We may have eaten this at a hotel. It was
a weird camping trip.

6. Campfire sandwiches: this was a life saver with the rain that just wouldn't stop, we ate them cold in the tent. Next time I would cut the bread into thinner slices. Perhaps my french bread was just much bigger, but the 6 sandwiches ended up with way too much bread to them.

7. Curly dogs: didn't try, but it sounds super yummy.

8. Campfire roasted apples: I was totally pumped to try this, brought my apple corer along and everything, but the rain just didn't let it happen. Very sad.

9. Campfire eclairs: Tried these at a cookout with some friends and they failed pretty miserably. The crescent roll dough was too floppy to stay as an open tube on our marshmallow sticks. We ended up spreading the dough out on some foil, cooking it, and then melting some chocolate on top. Or adding cherry pie filling. It tasted good, but I was sad we couldn't shape them correctly. Maybe they need to be wrapped around something bigger for the cooking phase.

Left: crescent roll dough with cherry
pie filling and chocolate on top.
Right: flattened crescent roll dough
with chocolate on top.

10. Cake in an orange: This may be something I never try, mostly because getting all the flesh out of an orange doesn't sound fun to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment