Monday, March 21, 2016

Donut Shootout!





Omaha Food & Spirits Magazine put on their first Donut Shootout in Benson on February 13th. They modeled it after their Pizza Shootout, which I have sadly never been to. Better add that to my list. 

Tickets cost $5.50 and had to be bought in advance, so I sent my aunt to make sure they didn't sell out before I had a chance to get to Omaha. She and my other aunt decided they'd try some donuts with me so I didn't have to go it alone.

We went to the Waiting Room first and exchanged our tickets for wristbands. First time I got a wristband for donuts! There was quite the table set up at the back of more donuts than you can probably imagine all cut in half. I was thinking they would be quartered which would have encouraged more sampling and less waste. At the Waiting Room we had donuts from Petit's Pastries, Sunrise Donuts, Winchell's, Donut Stop, and Dunkin Donuts.

The crowds at The Waiting Room and Reverb Lounge weren't bad, but Krug Park was packed. The people manning the donut table said they got slammed at the beginning of the event because a lot of people thought they were the only location (the event was listed as being at Krug Park Bar but if you read the event page the other bars were mentioned). I was sad that we missed some yummy looking cherry donuts at Krug Park, but we had plenty of others to sample so I can't be too disappointed. At Krug Park, they had more donuts from Winchell's and Petits, and some from Harold's. The crowd at Reverb Lounge was more calm and they had donuts from Krispy Kreme and Sunrise Donuts.

I probably ate about 2 full donuts with all the samples I was trying, so look for reviews to come in the next couple of weeks of all the awesome donuts I tried!




No comments:

Post a Comment