Friday, July 5, 2013

Food & Fireworks

For July 4th, I went with my mom's older sister to my cousin's house for food and fireworks. And there was a lot of both.

Have you ever heard of FHB? It stands for Family Hold Back and apparently is when, at a large event with food, the food supply starts to diminish a FHB situation is called and the host family stops eating to make sure all the guests get enough food. My sister heard about it from a friend of hers and my whole family was just like, what do you mean there isn't enough food at a family event??? That has NEVER happened to us, on either side of our families!

So, yeah, I guess we're a little food crazy. Here is a short list of the food available for the 4th (we had 18 people there I believe)

Layered Jello (welcome to the midwest, normally we have two, but my cousin ran out of time to make hers)
Four types of chips
Three types of dips for tortilla chips, plus layered chip dip with cheese and beans
Dip for veggies and potato chips
Baked beans
Oreo/cool whip dessert
PB rice crispie treats with chocolate frosting
Jello cake (I guess we did have two jello based dishes...)
Hot dogs
Hamburgers
Coleslaw
Garden Salad
Spicy dried beef roll ups
Giant bowl of olives (what, everyone doesn't have just a bowl of olives sitting around on the buffett table? I guess I'll excuse that, I don't even like them anyways but everyone else in my family does, it was the only empty dish by the end of the night)
Fruit pizza
Fruit salad
Chicken wings
Shrimp

We also spent about half the time there talking about the trip on the Lincoln Highway that my aunt and I took last weekend or the trip to the United Kingdom and Ireland that my uncle and aunts are planning for next month. 

So yeah, I guess traveling and talking about food are just in my genes! And blowing stuff up, I almost forgot the firework selection that we had!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed such a wonderful gathering. And the olives.

    ReplyDelete