Thursday, July 18, 2013

In honor of families...

Today begins my family reunion weekend on my dad's side. I barely remember the last one, it was probably 1989. My mom's side has had a couple recently, one in 2008 with just her siblings (10 plus her) and offspring and then one last summer with all her cousins (approximately 60 first cousins and all their children and grandchildren) on her dad's side. We like family in the midwest :-)

I will try to squeeze a donut run in sometime this weekend, especially since my brother in law (and more specifically, his amazing camara and photography skills) will be around, but I make no promises.

Instead, it's family story time! And tonight, we start with one of my favorite things about family gatherings...the coolers.

I noticed about 10 years ago that at any family function, people were arriving with coolers. This did not happen on my mom's side. It probably took me another couple of years to realize what was in the coolers.

Beer. Everyone brings their own. It isn't because we don't share. Because we totally share a ton. Nothing is really off limits at gatherings. I'm not even sure the exact reasoning behind it or when it started. Sometimes chairs are brought as well. But the coolers are my favorite. And no one is offended or looks at you funny when you show up with yours or pull a beer out of it halfway through the night. It's just par for the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment