Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I guess I should share some travling tips at some point

That way this blog isn't ALL about the donuts. Just mostly. In fact, let's start with some food related travel tips. Because I eat. A lot. Constantly. Totally not one of those three square meals a day people. Nope.

So here it is: Food and Airplanes!

1. Yes, you can still take food through airport security, even homemade food. There are some exceptions to this (mostly because of the liquid restriction). I got yogurt taken away once.

2. Frozen liquids are fine. I've gotten frozen applesauce, frozen water bottles, and frozen freezer packs successfully through security.

3. I've also taken those tiny tubs of peanut butter through in my toiletries bag along with nips of alcohol. As long as it's under the 3.4 oz rule, go for it!

4. As far as non liquid foods my favorites are:
-protein bars and granola bars (Sunbelt has a new sweet and salty peanut granola bar out that is cheap and delicious!)
-graham crackers
-fresh fruit (bananas and apples seem to fair the best being tossed in my carry on)
-trail mixes (I have a really bad habit of eating all the candy coated chocolate pieces out of a new bag of trail mix first but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one)
-dry cereal

5. Don't forget an empty water bottle to fill up post security! Mine is awesome and of course I can't find a picture of it online so ya'll have to wait till I get my netbook back to get some pictures. Because it's awesome and worthy of a picture. Plus this blog needs more pictures stat.

Even if you aren't a big snacker, if you take a small insulated lunch bag and a freezer bag, you can use it for the way home to bring back some local treats, like cheese from Wisconsin! Or even leftovers from a stop along the way. (I even try to bring some of my stuff in small containers that I can rinse out and reuse later in the trip.) Also, remember that you normally only have to go through security at the start of a trip, not at every layover. So as long as your freezer bag is frozen to begin with, don't worry if it starts to thaw later.

And, if you needed another excuse to bring some sort of food with you, who wants to get stuck on the tarmac with a two hour delay and nothing but a tiny bag of peanuts to eat? Don't rely on the airline to feed you anymore!

*Disclaimer, TSA kind of sucks. So don't argue with them if they take something away that I said could go through. Just because I got it through at one airport one day doesn't mean every is going to let it through all the time. But it never hurts to try! I mean with food, not with weapons. Do I even have to say that?

No comments:

Post a Comment