Sunday, June 9, 2013

My miracle dress, aka the best thing to wear on any plane ride ever.

The dress, on my way to Thailand
I was looking through some pictures from this year and realized the same dress kept popping up from all my trips. It’s amazing and everyone probably thinks I only own like two dresses. Obviously, if you know me you know this isn’t true, but this dress is just that good. 

My current go-to travel outfit is my miracle dress, leggings, leather flats with nylon not-socks (my dad calls them old lady socks), my black jersey knit blazer, and my white pashmina shawl. Last time I went overseas and spent about 26 hours traveling, I also included a pair of black dress socks in my bag to put on when I get cold. I like to pretend you can’t see the line between the socks and the leggings from far away. Every fifth trip or so I’ll mix it up and wear another tshirt dress or even a knit mini skirt with
my leggings on the flight. For variety of course. Or because I’m out of clean clothes at the end of a trip. Don’t tell anyone.

Mid road trip with my mom
Starting a road trip to Philly
I like this combination because it is super comfortable and I never end up with an annoying waist band shoving into me while I’m sitting down. The shoes are easy to slip on and off for security or getting comfortable on the plane. The not-socks make it less gross to walk through security bare foot. Not having pockets may get annoying to some people, but I like not having to worry about emptying them at security or things falling out. My current blazer has two small pockets that I can put my ID and folding up boarding pass into in a pinch, but I tend to keep those in the upper pocket of my carry-on bag. The blazer is more awesome than a cotton cardigan because it is thinner and travels better without showing wrinkles. Sometimes it gets shoved in the bottom of my purse, but no worries, it always comes out looking the same as it went in! It is also more interesting than a button up cardigan and makes plain t-shirt dresses look dressy enough for heading out on the town. Because you know how I roll, always out on the town and all.

About 16 hrs into my 26 hr trip to
Thailand, excuse the ridiculous face
The shawl is essential because you never know how hot or cold the plane will be and it can be used as a scarf, blanket, pillow, or wrap. It also helps when going from one climate to another so that you don’t have to carry bulky coats that you only need in one place. The whole outfit looks very polished and a million times better than actually wearing sweats on a plane, but feels about the same. You can go out to dinner without having to worry about changing when you land (especially if you have a cute necklace on, accessories are key for traveling because they change up an outfit without having to pack more clothing! This line makes me sound like I take tons of jewelry with me when I travel, but no, I take maybe two or three necklaces and then call it a day. Sometimes I even forget I brought them till the end of the trip.).

Full outfit ready to go to Thailand
(and all the luggage I took with me for
the 10 day trip)
On a bike ride in Philly
Miracle Dress: Kohl’s
Pashmina: JC Penneys
Leggings: Target
Socks: Target
Flats: Some store that was going out of business…
Necklace: NY&Co (blue), Target (black)
Watch: Avon
Bracelet: Charming Charlies

No comments:

Post a Comment