Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sesame Donuts, a 4-in-1 review!

Where: 6990 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy, Portland
What: Maple raised with vanilla custard. Again. For comparison sake.
When: Friday, April 5th, 2013
Website: http://sesamedonuts.com/

I am a band nerd. This story sort of has to do with the donut tour. Most of my best friends are band nerds. And a lot of them are from middle school band. Crazy, right? Who is still friends with people they were friends with in middle school? Who is even remotely similar to the person they were in middle school? I'm not sure if I am or not, but we're all still friends. Maybe it was the band teacher. She did introduce my friend and I when we were both new on the first day of seventh grade. I may never have had a donut blog if not for that fateful introduction (and the trip to see her, my friend, not my former band teacher, in Portland about 15 years later...).
I have one photo from this stop so let me just make it really big...
Anyways, the second stop on the donut tour was at my friend's favorite donut placem Sesame Donuts. Apparently Voodoo wasn't good enough for her! Although, really, I wasn't complaining.

On to the review!

So the worker/owner(?) was hilarious from the moment we walked in, offering us shots instead of donuts. A half dozen was $5.50, and yes, we got 6 donuts. There were three of us, so it wasn't that ridiculous. This particular location shared the space with a Baskin Robins and had outdoor seating.

I had what they called a Portland Creme and a pumpkin spice. I had totally forgotten about having the second donut until looking at my notes. Oh wow. So many donuts! Anyways, the Portfoland creme was good, not as decadent tasting as the Vood Doughnot one, but definitely worth going back for. The pumpkin spice was a dake donut but had little to no pumpkin taste. As a cake donut it was ok, as a pumpkin donut it would get a 1/5 simply for lack of flavoring.

I tried a bite of a French Crueler which was my friend and her roommate's favorite. Very eggy, reminded me of challah bread. The glaze was nice, I would give it a 3/5. Possible a good donut for people who do not like the heavy Dunk Donuts' taste.

I also tried a bite of a blueberry cake donut. 4/5. Very flavorful and moist, which I feel DD has a hard time getting in their cake donuts. The blueberry flavoring was strong and possibly a little artificial tasting, I probably would not have been able to eat an entire one.

No comments:

Post a Comment